Monday, May 19, 2008

Sad News


Steve and Marty, our Cornish cross chickens, died today. I think it was the heat, although the other 4 chickens are doing fine. These two chickens were bred to be butchered, but I think because of their large and fatty size, they couldn't take the heat. It was sad. I was at work today, but it looked like Glen had checked on them during the day, they are all mostly in the shade, and they had food and water. Madalynn was especially upset because the chickens have been her project. (literally, her science project.) I had to go and put them in a garbage bag out of the cage. They are in the outside refrigerator waiting for Glen to get home. I didn't know what else to do with them. I called Tyler and told him because he had purchased these chickens after we had the first four. He said that since the chickens seem to be breathing heavily, they may have respiratory problems and that I should give them an anti-biotic. So, I raced to Pratt's, bought that and some seven dust to prevent lice, then dropped Jacob at his game, raced home to help Madalynn give the meds to the chickens, then raced back to Jacob's game. It is all rather unsettling. You don't realize that you can get attached to chickens until you have them eat out of your hands. Our chickens are very tame.

So, Good-bye Steve and Marty! We will miss you!

2 comments:

Ruth said...

oh...i'm sorry to hear that.

Unknown said...

Did you miss them while you were eating them?