Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day~


I enjoy Mother's Day. Not only because I am a mother and my kids always make me breakfast, but because I think about my mother and what a blessing she has always been to me and to my brothers and sisters. When I hear the stories of other people and the lives that they have led and see the world today with mothers whose hearts are cold towards their children, I realize more and more what a saint my mother is. I hold her as my ideal and I know that I fall incredibly short of that ideal.


My mother went through a lot of difficulties in her life. She was raised during the depression in a family with 8 children. Any money she made was used for the good of the family. She married my dad and raised 7 children and she never had much money or things of the world. But, she always found ways to give us what we needed and made us feel that she was proud of us and served us throughout her life. Her service to us and to others was remarkable as I look back at her life.


People make so many excuses today about why they fail in their family life or why they can't parent as well as they should. What the problem boils down to is selfishness and an unwillingness to love and fulfill personal responsibilities. Even in the most dire of financial situations, my family never became disfunctional. I am so thankful for that and I love my parents so much for their love and hard work. I especially love my Heavenly Father who blessed me with that love in my life. I hope my own children know of my deep love for them and that they can continue this righteous tradition of caring for their own families that has extended from all of their grandparents to them as they carry on in their lives. It is in family that we find true happiness and joy.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

A nice way to honor your mother. I have looked back over your daughters messages to you on mother's day and they say it all. You're the best! Happy Mothers Day.

Love to you