Thursday, January 31, 2008

We Thank Thee, Oh God, For a Prophet!


On Sunday, Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley passed away. For him, it was such a blessing. He had spent most of his life in the service of his heavenly father and his fellowman. I know he is so happy to be reunited with his wife who died a couple of years before him. For me and other members of our church it is an emotional time to have someone so loved leave us. His nature was so endearing and kind. His words and works, so inspiring. I cannot do him justice with my words.

In my kitchen I have a wooden plaque hanging over the entrance to the family room that lists the six "Bs", given by Pres. Hinckley. They are: Be Grateful, Be Smart, Be Clean, Be True, Be Humble, Be Prayerful. He embodied all of these qualities and more. He was a true representative of how the Savior wants us to live. I have no doubt that he was truly called of God to represent him here on earth as our prophet and leader. Let me expound on that.

I am now at the age of having been around for a good many or the prophets. In the song "Latter-day Prophets", I have been around for all of the names in the last 3 lines of the song!

"David O. McKay was followed by Joseph Fielding Smith.

Then Harold B. Lee, Spencer W. Kimball, Ezra Taft Benson, Howard W. Hunter.

Gordon B. Hinckley shows the way. We hear and follow his words today."

Each time one prophet passed away and a new one was sustained, I prayed to know personally that this man was indeed the Lord's servant, the one meant to lead us and let man know God's will for us today. Each time I saw that mantle of authority almost literally cloak the man as he was set apart, ordained and sustained to lead this great work. I was given that peace and comfort in my heart to know that miracles still happen and that God has not left us alone in these modern days. He still speaks to his prophets and tells us what we need to know and gives us comfort in times of trial. Amos 3:7 "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." I know this is true because I have found out for myself.

So, as my final tribute to President Hinckley, let me quote Paul, from 1Corinthians 14:3-4, "But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church." Pres. Hinckley's words were always words of edification, exhortation and comfort. I will miss him.
If you go to byu.org, you can see a slide show of him at BYU and hear excerpts of some of his speeches given there. They are awesome.

No comments: