Sunday, April 13, 2008

Words to Think About

Recently, Gordon B. Hinckley passed away. Here is something that he taught once when he addressed the students at BYU: "You are good, but don't just be good, be good for something." He always said that we should stand up for what we believed and stand for something. I think that this is what a hero does, a hero isn't just good, but he is good for something. In other words, he does something with what he believes is right. He has integrity to make his actions consistent with what he believes to be true and right. His goodness motivates him (or her) to action. Faith should motivate us to act and to become Christlike. Faith and love should be verbs, not just nouns. Somehow in my mind it continues to come together until it will gel in my heart.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Ephesians 2:10
For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
********************

Forgive me, Helen, but this reminds me of a joke my dad used to say to me, "Ruth...most people you have to pay to be good. But you are good for nothing!"