Sunday, April 5, 2009

"Lord, I believe. Help Thou My Unbelief..."


The other night I was watching a movie on the Hallmark channel. I don't remember the name of the movie, but it had a Christian theme. I learned a very good way to describe the reason why bad things happen to good people. The man on the film had lost his wife and his barn had burned down. He was helping a young widow who had lost her husband and who was having a baby. He mentioned that the Lord was with him and she got angry and asked how he could believe that after all of the bad things that had happened. He used the analogy of him as a father to his young daughter. He said that even when he held his daughters hand when they were walking, she could still fall and hurt herself. She could skin her knee and be in pain. He would be there to pick her up and comfort her, but she would still have to go through the pain. He said that God had been there with him through all of his pain and helped him bear the burden and comforted him. I thought that was a beautiful analogy.

As I listened to the General Conference today and heard the beautiful talks giving testimony of the Savior, Jesus Christ, I recalled that analogy and Elder Holland so eloquently reminded us that we are never alone because He went through that loneliness for us on the cross. As soon as it is available on line, I will post the link to the audio broadcast of that talk. It will move you to tears. It will move you to be a better follower of Christ.

No comments: